Friday, August 19, 2016

My First Harvest…a Cornucopia of Learning

#urbanfarming



  Sunflowers can be harvested too soon and be empty shells (garlic flavored cardboard)

                    


            Corn may not be my thing after growing weeds last year, and a whopping three ears this season 



















                   Tomatoes were the bumper crop and easy to grow



   




Kale fail…one caterpillar took my entire harvest (insert beautiful sunrise :)




                   Green beans are fun and a solid boost to ego, giving me a smile almost daily as I plucked a few beans nearly every morning…though never enough to do anything but snap and snack on the go









                    Sweet peppers can be claimed as a victory; plenty of peppers for variety of purposes (just please don't ask me about the jelly...it's still too painful to talk about)



            A cucumber by any other name is NOT the same (a tale of my squash) - use caution planting similar vining plants too close together.  I "picked a cucumber" that turned out to be a squash.  

                    I can’t believe I never canned before…it’s awesome, cost effective…and makes you feel pretty good about making your own food from start to finish (okay, I may have been in a jam and a friend was kind enough to give me his strawberries, so I could learn how).

A star is born !


Success
                                  
           

Humility – after creating a perfect batch of jalapeno jelly…only to find I used so much pectin, the jars are now decorative candles, requiring wicks to enjoy aroma.  

Epic Fail!



                     

















I’m gonna need a bigger garden next year…win or lose, it’s fun and I'm going to do it again!


M

No comments:

Post a Comment